4.02.2007

Busy, busy

Technology is supposed to make our lives much easier. But, the fact is that it only allows us to cram even more into our already limited time. Rushing from job to job, task to task. Every so often you have to force yourself to stop and see the world around you.


One of the final lines in the movie "Ferris Bueller's Day Off" sums it up the best:
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it."
So here I was, running late to teach my class at Metro State and I look up and just felt the need to take a photo. I made three photos and returned to my brisk walk.



All of a sudden you look at the calendar and you realize it's been eight straight years of hard work and dedication to get to this point in your career. There have been several sacrifices, several indulgences and a lot of everything in between. I'm in the midst of a creative surge. I have been seeing my world differently everyday. Whether or not I create interesting visuals from that doesn’t matter to me. A veil has been lifted.

I’ve been able to see things in a different light. I’ve been able to exercise my creative muscles. I’ve been enjoying manipulating a piece of technology to express moments and feelings to people. I am grateful for all of that, because I am about to embark on the future of my career.

Adding audio to still photos to create a message is unique and it works in many ways. The still image will always be the most powerful way to send a message, if done correctly. The viewer is forced to see a frozen moment of time and reflect on the impact of that moment. Adding the audio creates another layer for the senses. Now I must take the power of the still image, the impact of audio and blend it with the dimension of time to create video.

I can’t wait to see and document the world in yet another creative way.

No comments: